Testing the chrome mobile app
We have created a way for you access the mobile app online before it is available in the App Store. In this article we'll walk through-
- What exactly you're seeing in the browser
- How to set up Chrome to support the view
- Appropriate usage examples
There are a few important things to keep in mind when you're using the Chrome version of the mobile app.
- Not all functionality is available (push notifications, camera, etc.)
- PLEASE only use this app for content validation purposes, not for functional testing
- Example: You can't see the splash screen or the icon, this would not be a great tool to introduce a new user to the mobile app. We really intend for you to use this as a way to view and approve the feed.
You will always have an opportunity to view and download the mobile app before it is live. This is to help stop the gap between building the feed and creating an Apple Developer account.
Accessing the mobile version
First, you'll want to open your Chrome mobile browser. Then, launch a brand new incognito window. Next, you'll want to go to your own school URL. It follows the example-
Reach out to us to learn what your school URL is.
Change Chrome view
You'll need to change your chrome view in order to view the mobile app properly.
- On a Mac? Use command+option+j
- On a PC? Use control+shift+j
- If those don't work, right-click on the page and click inspect
- From there, click on the "console" option
The following screenshots use a standard institution as an example. Please use the URL that we've provided.
After you open the console, yours might be docked on the right or the bottom. If it's docked on the right, it will look like this. You can skip the next few steps if your console opens up docked on the right. Also you will see a lot of red and other messages here, please ignore anything you see!
If it's docked on the bottom, you'll need to move it to the right.
Click on the three dots on the left side of the screen.
This will reveal the menu.
Click on the dock to the right image.
Everyone should now have this view.
Click on the two devices icon.
Here you should have a view that looks something like this.
You can change how your device looks from this dropdown.
You should now be able to use the Chrome mobile app to view any app information. Remember!
- Feel free to share this with others who want to review the content in the app
- Don't share this with students or prospective students, it doesn't make sense for them to use
- Questions? Email email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Have fun!